What is the secret to a Hollywood smile?
Have you ever wondered how all celebrities have bright white smiles with perfectly arranged teeth, just like a pearl necklace? This is not a coincidence at all, and it is certainly not just a good gene. So, what is the secret to a Hollywood smile?
The answer is one very short word - veneers. Of course, they can only be a good alternative for people whose natural teeth are healthy.
What are veneers?
Veneers are thin plates (scales) that, through a special material, are glued to the front surface of the teeth. They are placed only in the frontal area (front teeth), and in the distal areas (chewing teeth) dentists recommend dental crowns, as they are stronger and more durable.
When can veneers be a good solution to improve the look of a smile?
Veneers are applicable in the following cases:
- Distance between the teeth (diastema, tremors)
- Teeth with "short" clinical crowns
- Rotated (incorrectly arranged) teeth
- Teeth with cracks or fractures
- Teeth with abnormalities in the shape and size of the dental crown
- Discolored or darkened teeth
What types of dental veneers exist?
There are 2 main types of veneers:
Ceramic (porcelain) veneers: Ceramic veneers are a thin layer of porcelain (can be made by different technologies), which is fixed on the front surface of the teeth.
They can be applied from a purely aesthetic point of view, to improve the appearance of the tooth (the tooth is functional and healthy, but here the leading factor is the aesthetic factor). This is done after careful consideration of the benefits, given the cost and what part of a healthy tooth should be polished or applied to a non-preparation technique that does not remove any part of the tooth.
Composite veneers are made of photopolymer composite materials and are extremely affordable, but they do not serve the patient as long as porcelain veneers would. They are a common alternative to single restorations.
What are the main advantages of veneers and what type to choose?
One of the main advantages of veneers is that it is a minimally invasive technique that allows the patient to achieve a bright and harmonious smile in a short time.
Advantages of porcelain veneers:
- Exceptional aesthetics.
- They do not stain easily.
- It is necessary to remove much less healthy enamel than in crowns, for example.
Advantages of composite veneers:
- It is usually necessary to remove less tooth enamel than with crowns or porcelain veneers.
- Sometimes fewer visits to the dentist's office are needed to place them than with porcelain veneers.
- They cost less than porcelain veneers.
When is it not appropriate to place veneers on you?
- Teeth and gums must be in excellent health
Before proceeding with veneers, your personal dentist will perform a thorough examination to determine if there are any problems in your oral cavity.
- Veneers are not a good choice for patients who clench or gnash their teeth
As we have already said, veneers look like thin scales and if you suffer from bruxism, there is a chance that you will damage or break them. In a milder form of this problem, patients can wear a silicone splint during sleep to protect the veneers.
Whether veneers are the best choice for you to have the dream smile or our specialists will recommend you another alternative such as crowns or dental implants, you can learn by contacting us through our contact form here.